Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Jams, pickles and now, salsa.

Tried my first ever home made salsa yesterday. My yield was five and a half pints. I canned the five pints and refrigerated the half a pint to use at dinner time.  DH says it could have been "hotter" but it had enough bite for me. Maybe after it sits for a while it will be spicier. I used the tomatoes and jalapenos from our garden - about as fresh as you can get. This experiment has been so satisfying for me. I'll never become a sustenance farmer but will continue to grow some vegetables and fruits and preserve what I can. Knowing there are no chemicals added to your food is comforting in this day and age, too. I plan on making and canning tomato sauce (I have a "bumper" crop of tomatoes) and my next "jam session" is already in the works. Trying a peach and raspberry combination jam tomorrow.  Here is a photo of my five pints of salsa.


Worked really hard on this greeting card, as well. I'm in love with the peacock stamp. It was a recent freebie from Cardmaking & Papercrafting, a magazine I subscribe to. Just couldn't wait to ink the stamp up and get to coloring. I used distress inks to water color the image; my favorite technique at the moment.  The labels die cuts are from Spellbinders and the "jewels" are Dazzles from Paper Wishes in Canby, Oregon. 

 


1 comment:

  1. That peacock card is beautiful - great job and I continue to be impressed with your farming and canning skills - "Jam session" - love it. :)

    ReplyDelete